A respectable figure and one of the greatest politicians of India. Also known as the “Bhishma Pitamah” of Indian politics, Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s personality has been able to win over not only all the countrymen but also his oppositions.
2. Always wanted to become a journalist but entered politics by mistake, as told by him in an interview
3. His oratory skills had impressed Jawaharlal Nehru to a great extent & he had predicted that Atalji will become Prime Minister of India one day which he proved right
4. In 1984, while campaigning in Gwalior, he told his audience to vote for Congress & show that one cannot get away with assassinating our PM. This was the only election he lost from Gwalior which was against Madhav Rao Scindia
5. Held the highest office for three times & was the first Prime Minister to run a Coalition Government in India with 26 parties
6. The most popular politician & the first ever non-congress PM to serve a full term of 5 years in office, widely respected not only by his followers but also his opponents – A Rare fact in politics
7. Because of his keen intelligence and grounding in politics, Atal Bihari Vajpayee got elected to Lok Sabha for a record 9 times & twice for Rajya Sabha.
8. Narasimha Rao, former Prime Minister of India, used to treat him as his political guru
9. His sister used to throw his pants across the wall which he wore outside the house because his father was a government employee and didn’t allow him to wear RSS Khakhi pants
10. Atal Bihari Vajpayee practiced celibacy and didn’t get married. Although, he adopted a daughter whose name is Namita
11. Vajpayee ji is the only Parliamentarian who was elected from 4 different states: UP, MP, Gujarat and Delhi
12. Atal Bihari Vajpayee is the first External Affairs Minister & the first person to deliver a Speech in Hindi in the United Nations General Assembly
13. Vajpayee ji allowed nuclear weapons and their testing. The Pokhran nuclear test was held during his tenure
14. To illustrate the power of “Science”, Vajpayee Ji improvised the famous quote by Lal Bahadur Shastri- Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan.
15. Atal Ji’s truest passion was “Poems”. He released 2 albums with Jagjit Singh featuring his poems: Nayi Disha(1999) & Samvedna(2002)
16. To bring in full-scale diplomatic peace process with Pakistan, Vajpayee Ji Inaugurated the historic Delhi-Lahore bus service in February 1999
17. Vajpayee ji, been sick for a long time, has undergone 10 surgeries in last 20 years. Nowadays, he’s suffering from partial speech impairment due to paralysis
18. Atal Ji dedicates his great career in politics to Amar Kirti Vijay Pataka by Mahatma Ramchandra Veer
19. His birthday (25th December) has been declared as Good Governance Day by the NDA
20. Honoured with Padma Vibhushana in 1992, the Best Parliamentarian award in 1994 & Bharat Ratna in 2014
Atal Bihari Vajpayee had a great run as the Prime Minister and reshaped India in many ways. With his sheer political intelligence, he not only became an epitome of leadership but also won the hearts of many with his wit and poems.
We wish to have more leaders like him.