The founder of Jainism and one of the most prominent Indian spiritual leaders, Lord Mahavira gave the message of non-violence, truth and attaining spiritual enlightenment. Lord Mahavira quotes give an insight into the philosophy and teaching of Jainism. He left home at the age of 30, practiced intense meditation and austerities before attaining enlightenment. He then preached his teachings across teachings.
We bring you some of the most meaningful Lord Mahavira quotes that will teach you the right way to lead your lives.
1. Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being. – Lord Mahavira
2. Do unto others as you would like to be done by. Injury or violence done by you to any life in any form, animal or human, is as harmful as it would be if caused to your own self. – Lord Mahavira
3. Kill not, cause no pain. Non-violence is the greatest religion. – Lord Mahavira
4. In happiness & suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self. – Lord Mahavira
5. All breathing, existing, living, sentient creatures should not be slain, nor treated with violence, nor abused, nor tormented, nor driven away. – Lord Mahavira
6. Anger begets more anger, and forgiveness and love lead to more forgiveness and love. – Lord Mahavira
7. Live and allow others to live; hurt no one; life is dear to all living beings. – Lord Mahavira
8. In happiness & suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self. – Lord Mahavira
9. The most important principle of environment is that you are not the only element. – Lord Mahavira
10. Do not deprive someone of his livelihood. This is a sinful tendency. – Lord Mahavira
11. All are my friends. I have no enemies. – Lord Mahavira
12. All souls are equal and alike and have the similar nature and qualities. – Lord Mahavira
13. Karma is the root cause of birth and death, and these are said to be the source of misery. None can escape the effect of their own past karma. – Lord Mahavira
14. Don’t accumulate if you do not need. The excess of wealth in your hands is for the society, and you are the trustee for the same. – Lord Mahavira
15. One who neglects or disregards the existence of earth, air, fire, water and vegetation disregards his own existence which is entwined with them. – Lord Mahavira
16. If you want to cultivate a habit, do it without any reservation, till it is firmly established. Until it is so confirmed, until it becomes a part of your character, let there be no exception, no relaxation of effort. – Lord Mahavira
17. A soul can only achieve liberation by getting rid of all the karma attached to it. – Lord Mahavira
18. A man is seated on top of a tree in the midst of a burning forest. He sees all living beings perish. But he doesn’t realize that the same fate is soon to overtake him also. That man is fool. – Lord Mahavira
19. Non-violence & kindness to living beings is kindness to oneself. – Lord Mahavira
20. It is better to win over the self than to win over a million enemies. – Lord Mahavira
We hope these Lord Mahavira quotes lead you to the path of inner peace and self-realization.