Forrest Gump is one of the most heartwarming movies ever made. The sheer innocence of the plot and the brilliantly surreal acting of Tom Hanks have made the character immortal. The movie is a treat for children and adults alike. The guileless Gump recollects his past experiences growing up slow-witted amidst monumental historical events. His life drives him through a series of adventures as he finds himself involved in the significant events in American History. During his journey, he meets some wonderful people who play an important role in shaping him into a wonderfully lovable personality. The only goal of his life is to reunite with his childhood friend and one true love, Jenny. This feel-good movie is full of life lessons and thought-provoking philosophy that leaves a deep impact on anyone who watches this masterpiece. Here’s a list of some of the best quotes and dialogues from Forrest Gump that will change the way you perceive life.
1. “My mama always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.’” -Forrest Gump
Life indeed is as unpredictable as a box of chocolates, a mixture of sad and happy surprises. This is the most quoted and popular line from the movie.
2. “You have to do the best with what God gave you.” – Mrs. Gump
Nobody is perfect. One has to make most of what they have to achieve something in life. That is where true happiness lies.
3. “My mama always told me that miracles happen every day. Some people don’t think so, but they do.” – Forrest Gump
These words of Forrest’s wise and kind Mama make us start believing in miracles again.
4. “Listen, you promise me something, OK? Just if you’re ever in trouble, don’t be brave. You just run, OK? Just run away.” – Jenny Curran
Sometimes it’s better to just cleverly avoid trouble when we have an option. Thoughtless heroism doesn’t lead us anywhere.
5. “When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go, you know, I went.” -Forrest Gump
Here Forrest is commenting on his more than 3 years-long run around America. He makes such a gigantic task look so easy. You have to do what you gotta do. It’s that simple.
6. “Don’t ever let anybody tell you they’re better than you.”– Mrs. Gump
Everyone is perfect in their own special way!
7. “I’m not the smart man. But I know what love is.”— Forrest Gump
The movie teaches us a wonderful lesson in love, in the most beautiful way possible.
8. “Bubba was my best good friend. And even I know that ain’t something you can find just around the corner.”– Forrest Gump
Finding a true friend is a rare pleasure that many can’t afford. So, when you find one, stick to them!
9. “Now, mama said there’s only so much fortune a man really needs… and the rest is just for showing off.”— Forrest Gump
The subtle difference between need and want is precisely explained in this quote.
10. “My mama always said you’ve got to put the past behind you before you can move on.”— Forrest Gump
We always carry the luggage of our past and tend to ruin our future endeavors. Sometimes it’s better to leave the past in the past.
11. “Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?” – Lieutenant Daniel Taylor
“I didn’t know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir”. – Forrest Gump
This quote is unapologetically self-explanatory, making it one of the best dialogues from Forrest Gump.
12. “Mama always said, dying was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn’t.” – Forrest Gump
It is difficult to ignore the inevitability of death.
13. “I don’t know if we have a destiny, or if we’re all just floatin’ around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it’s both. Maybe both is happenin’ at the same time.”- Forrest Gump
It’s a task to find a reason behind everything, whether it is destiny or something else. Maybe there’s no reason at all, who’s to say?
14. “My Mama says that stupid is as stupid does.” -Forrest Gump
People are defined by their actions. You are stupid if you do stupid things, and anyone can do stupid things.
15. “What’s normal anyways?” -Mrs. Gump
Who are we to define what’s normal and what’s not?
It has been more than a quarter of a century since this movie was first released. It hasn’t lost its charm and it never will. Usually, honest and heart-touching works like these attain the status of a classic, as has this movie. I hope this list of some of the best quotes and dialogues from Forrest Gump has left you with a smile on your face. Let me know some of your favorite quotes and dialogues from Forrest Gump in the comments section.