An Indian monk, yogi and guru, Yogananda Paramahansa was one of the earliest spiritual gurus who introduced meditation and yoga to the western world. His book Autobiography of a Yogi was acclaimed critically and commercialized and has sold almost 4 Million copies. It is considered as a book that has changed the life of millions across the globe. The quotes from Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda has been inspiring its readers to lead a better and spiritually enriched life.
Dubbed as the 20th Century’s first superstar Guru, Yogananda Paramahansa was born in Gorakhpur in a bengali family. He joined the monastic swami order after graduating from college. He propagated the study of science and modern education along with spiritual ideals and yoga techniques. He soon moved to United States of America where he founded the Self-Realization Fellowship (SRF) to disseminate his teachings on Yoga and meditation across the globe. He became one of the most popular spiritual Gurus of 20th Century in the USA while gaining almost a celebrity status with several influential followers.
Also read: 20 Osho Quotes That Can Transform Your Life
We bring you some of the best quotes from Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda to awaken you spiritually towards the path of inner happiness and peace.
1. Darkness must always be combated positively. – Autobiography of a Yogi
2. The poet is intimate with truth, while the scientist approaches awkwardly. – Autobiography of a Yogi
3. The more deeply we perceive, the more striking becomes the evidence that a uniform plan links every form in manifold nature. – Autobiography of a Yogi
4. The soul must stretch over the cosmogonic abysses, while the body performs its daily duties. – Autobiography of a Yogi
5. Be as simple as you can be; you will be astonished to see how uncomplicated and happy your life can become. – Autobiography of a Yogi
6. Live quietly in the moment and see the beauty of all before you. The future will take care of itself. – Autobiography of a Yogi
7. Since you alone are responsible for your thoughts, only you can change them. – Autobiography of a Yogi
8. Forget the past, for it is gone from your domain! Forget the future, for it is beyond your reach! Control the present! Live supremely well now! This is the way of the wise. – Autobiography of a Yogi
9. Kindness is the light that dissolves all walls between souls, families, and nations. – Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
10. Live each moment completely and the future will take care of itself. Fully enjoy the wonder and beauty of each moment. – Autobiography of a Yogi
11. Look only for the good in everything so you absorb the quality of beauty. – Autobiography of a Yogi
12. Every tomorrow is determined by every today. – Autobiography of a Yogi
13. God is simple, everything else is complex. – Autobiography of a Yogi
14. When you learn to live for others, they will live for you. – Autobiography of a Yogi
15. The power of unfulfilled desires is the root of all man’s slavery – Autobiography of a Yogi
16. Softer than the flower, where kindness is concerned; stronger than the thunder, where principles are at stake. – Autobiography of a Yogi
17. The one who pursues a goal of even mindedness is neither jubilant with gain nor depressed by loss. – Autobiography of a Yogi
18. Some people try to be tall by cutting off the heads of others! – Autobiography of a Yogi
19. Do not do what you want, and then you may do what you like. – Autobiography of a Yogi
20. Your Spine is your Body’s Battery. Keep it Charged! – Autobiography of a Yogi
Paramahansa Yogananda remains on the leading figures in Western spirituality even today and was the first prominent Indian Guru to settle in the Unites States. He was also one of the first prominent Indians to be hosted in the White House when President Calvin Collidge invited him to the White House in 1927. He became popular for his preaching of striking a balance between Western material growth and Indian spiritual values.
Former Apple CEO, Steve Jobs read Autobiography Of A Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda as a teenager and re-read it several times. Other renowned personalities like George Harrison and Pandit Ravi Shankar were also inspired by this book. Indian Cricket Captain, Virat Kohli has revealed that this book influenced his life in a very positive way and has urged everyone to read it.
Which of these quotes from Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda did you find the most spiritual awakening? Comment below!