25 Rabindranath Tagore Quotes On Life, Freedom, Nationalism & More
A poet, writer, musician, artist and visionary, Rabindranath Tagore was one of the iconic personalities of India in the last century. Known to reshape Bengali literature and art, Rabindranath Tagore was one of the first people who took Indian literature and art to the global audiences. His life, writings, work and Rabindranath Tagore quotes continues to enlighten audiences with wisdom, knowledge and truths of life.
Rabindranath Tagore became the first Indian to receive the nobel prize in 1913. He is also the first non-European to win a nobel proze in literature for Gitanjali which is a collection of his poems. He compositions serves as the national anthem of India and Bangladesh besides inspiring the national anthem of Sri Lanka.
We bring you the best Rabindranath Tagore quotes that encapsulate his wisdom, beliefs and teachings.
1. You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water
2. Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.
3. Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man.
4. The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.
5. Facts are many, but the truth is one.
6. Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the capacity to receive it.
7. Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom.
8. Gray hairs are signs of wisdom if you hold your tongue, speak and they are but hairs, as in the young.
9. We gain freedom when we have paid the full price.
10. A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it.
11. I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
12. We come nearest to the great when we are great in humility.
13. Your idol is shattered in the dust to prove that God’s dust is greater than your idol.
14. We live in the world when we love it.
15. Life is given to us, we earn it by giving it.
16. Music fills the infinite between two souls.
17. Love is an endless mystery, for it has nothing else to explain it.
18. By plucking her petals, you do not gather the beauty of the flower.
19. The flower which is single need not envy the thorns that are numerous.
20. Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the capacity to receive it.
21. The highest education is that which does not merely give us information but makes our life in harmony with all existence.
22. Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation.
23. The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.
24. Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high.
25. From the solemn gloom of the temple children run out to sit in the dust, God watches them play and forgets the priest.
Decades after his death, Rabindranath Tagore’s work still remains a part of the soul and culture of this vibrant nation. Which of these Rabindranath Tagore quotes struck you the hardest?