With a distinguished military career that spanned over four decades and fighting five major wars, Field Marshal Sam Hormusji Framji Jamshedji Manekshaw (lovingly called Sam Bahadur) is undoubtedly one of the most celebrated military men in independent India.
It was under his leadership India annihilated the Pakistani forces in 1971. Field Marshall Manekshaw is known for his bravery, courage, fearlessness, sense of humour and wit.
Here are 13 such instances that prove him to be the most badass Army General ever!
1. Speaking of Indian Army’s Gurkha regiment
2. When Indira Gandhi asked General Maneksaw about the Indian Army’s readiness for the 1971 War
3. Speaking about Politicians
4. When sent to command retreating Indian forces in the 1962 Indo-China War
5. When questioned by Indira Gandhi on rumours of a coup by the Army
6. Hit by 7 bullets in the battefield, the surgeon at the hospital asked Sam Manekshaw what had happened to him
7. To an injured soldier during the 1971 War
8. When asked what would have happened if he had opted for Pakistan during partition
9. Sent a parcel of bangles to the commanding officer of a battalion in Mizoram who was avoiding conflict with a note.
10. Message after the battalion conducted successful operations
11. After Sam Manekshaw enraged Indira Gandhi telling her about the inevitable defeat if India attacked East Pakistan untimely
12. General Yahya Khan, the President of Pakistan during 1971 war was staffed with Sam Manekshaw before Independence. Yahya purchased Manekshaw’s motorcycle for Rs 1000 but didn’t send over the money from Pakistan.
13. After helping a young Indian Army Officer, with his luggage, who did not recognise Manekshaw
Officer: “What do you do here?”
14. Replying to Indira Gandhi about his view on the Shimla Agreement where India frittered away the 1971 war military gains
15. when he spoke about soldier’s smoking and drinking