Let’s talk about some of the most mind-blowing movies produced over the last two decades- Interstellar, The Prestige, Tenet, Inception, Momento, Dunkirk, The Dark Knight! All of these amazing movies and many more have been written and directed by the British-American director, Christopher Nolan. It wouldn’t be an overstatement to say that the man is a genius when it comes to storytelling and movies. Nolan’s movies have some of the most powerful dialogues in cinematic history. In this article, we will revisit some of the brilliant and best quotes from Christopher Nolan movies.
1. “What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient. Highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it’s almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed — fully understood —that sticks.” -Dominick Cobb, Inception
2. “Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the colour of a car. And memories can be distorted. They’re just an interpretation, they’re not a record, and they’re irrelevant if you have the facts.” -Leonard Shelby, Memento
3. “A good cop can’t sleep because he’s missing a piece of the puzzle. And a bad cop can’t sleep because his conscience won’t let him.”-Ellie Burr, Insomnia
4. “The audience knows the truth, the world is simple. It’s miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you could make them wonder. And then you got to see something very special.” -Robert Angier, The Prestige
5. “You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain.”-Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
6. “If you’re good at something, never do it for free.” – Joker, The Dark Knight
7. “Whatever doesn’t kill you, simply makes you… stranger.” -Joker, The Dark Knight
8. “You think darkness is your ally? But you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it.” -Bane, The Dark Knight Rises
9. “We used to look up in the sky and wonder at our place in the stars. Now we just look down and worry about our place in the dirt.” -Joseph A. Cooper, Interstellar.
10. “Men my age dictate this war. Why should we be allowed to send our children to fight it?” -Mr. Dawson, Dunkirk
11. “We’re the people saving the world from what might have been. The world will never know what could happen. And even if they did, they wouldn’t care. Because no one cares about the bomb that didn’t go off. Only the one that did.” -Neil, Tenet
12. “Murphy’s law doesn’t mean that something bad will happen. What it means is whatever can happen, will happen.” -Joseph A. Cooper, Interstellar
13. “Sometimes the truth isn’t good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.” -Batman, The Dark Knight
14. “You’re familiar with the phrase “Man’s reach exceeds his grasp”? It’s a lie. Man’s grasp exceeds his nerve.” -Nikola Tesla, The Prestige
15. “Now you’re looking for the secret. But you won’t find it, because, of course, you’re not really looking. You don’t really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.” -Cutter, The Prestige
16. People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy and I can’t do that as Bruce Wayne. As a man, I’m flesh and blood, I can be ignored, I can be destroyed, but as a symbol… as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting. -Bruce Wayne, Batman Begins
17. “So you lie to yourself to be happy. There’s nothing wrong with that. We all do it.” -Teddy, Memento
18. “Why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.” -Thomas Wayne, Batman Begins
19. “Love is the one thing we’re capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space. Maybe we should trust that, even if we can’t understand it.” – Dr. Amelia Brand, Interstellar
And last but not least, the most famous monologue in the history of cinema:
20. “You wanna know how I got these scars? My father was a drinker and a fiend. And one night, he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy grabs the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn’t like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me and says, ‘Why so serious?’ He comes at me with the knife. ‘Why so serious?’ Sticks the blade in my mouth. ‘Let’s put a smile on that face!” -Joker, The Dark Knight
Ahem, that sure was intense! Which of these quotes from Christopher Nolan movies is your favourite? Do let us know in the comments section.