Sikkim is synonymous with sheer magic and wonder. It is serene and at the same time cleanest and safest place to be. Diverse flora and fauna, bounties of nature, the snow-capped mountains and at the same time fast-paced development of the state leave people in awe.
Let us look at some of the lesser-known facts about Sikkim.
1. And the spirit lives on
2. Many many languages of Sikkim
3. Shares a special bond with nature
4. Fancy some Cardamom?
5. Keepin’ it clean!
6. Nepal influences
7. Family planning, spot on!
8. In the name of Jesus
9. The pious Dham of Siddheshwar
10. Home to the lush Rhododendron
11. Eccentric ceremonies to predict future
12. From independent country to an Indian state
The Prime Minister of Sikkim in 1975 appealed the Indian Parliament to accede Sikkim to the Indian Union. Indian Army then took over the city of Gangtok, abolished the monarchy and held a referendum where 97.5% of the votes were in favor of joining the Indian Union. Thus, Sikkim became the 22nd State of India.
13. The first mixed world heritage site
14. Saving the planet!
15. International neighbors of Sikkim
16. The grand Rhubarb flower
17. Abode of one of the largest mountain peaks
18. Comforting hot water springs
19. Worshiping the mountain
20. Beautiful Buddhist monasteries
With the diverse atmosphere, beautiful mountain peaks and purposeful natural phenomenon, Sikkim remains an interesting state. Visit this alluring hub of nature and traditional culture, to have an experience of a lifetime.