One of the greatest authors of all time, Leo Tolstoy was also one of the most are regarded pinnacle of modern literature. His novels – are regarded as pinnacles of realist fiction. Leo Tolstoy quotes from some of his renowned publications have also become gems of literature. Leo Tolstoy also received nominations for the Nobel Prize in Literature every year from 1902 to 1906 and also for the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize in 1901, 1902, and 1909. His works and philosophy inspired a number of pivotal 20th Century figures including Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.
We bring you some of the best Leo Tolstoy quotes you should read.
1. The epitome of knowledge is acknowledging that we know nothing.
“We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.”
2. Perseverence and time can assist in winning wars.
“The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.”
3. Contentment stems from within, being internal rather than worldly.
“Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them.”
4. Chasing perfection is rarely gratifying.
“If you look for perfection, you’ll never be content.”
5. Reverence and love are two sides of the same coin.
“Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be.”
6. Transforming the world seems easy until you have to begin with yourself.
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
7. Destiny finds its way regardless of our will.
“Whatever our fate is or may be, we have made it and do not complain of it.”
8. About Happiness or unhappiness
“Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story.”
9. We lose when we tell ourselves we did.
“We lost because we told ourselves we lost.”
10. Happy families and the unhappy one
“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”
11. The delusion of beauty
“It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness.”
12. Happiness is a choice you make.
“If you want to be happy, be.”
13. Young men should be in the company of intelligent women.
“Nothing is so necessary for a young man as the company of intelligent women.”
14. Love someone as they are.
“When you love someone, you love the person as they are, and not as you’d like them to be.”
15. Travel is the essence of all great stories.
“All great literature is one of two stories; a man goes on a journey or a stranger comes to town.”
Which of these Leo Tolstoy quotes did you find the most hard-hitting? Do let us know in the comments below!