Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind follows the story of Joel and Clementine, who after growing apart decide to erase each other off of their memories. However, when they meet a second time, they begin to fall in love – again. There’s a reason why it seems to be on every list of must-watch movies out there. The movie has so much to offer – grief, heartbreak, new love. With that, we bring you 20 quotes and dialogues from Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind that define life.
1. Because the timing is the easiest one to blame.
“We met at the wrong time. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway. Maybe one day years from now, we’ll meet in a coffee shop in a far away city somewhere and we could give it another shot.”
2. All things come to an end, but sometimes they don’t need to. And that’s what we like best about Joel and Clem.
“Joel: I can’t see anything that I don’t like about you.
Clementine: But you will! But you will. You know, you will think of things. And I’ll get bored with you and feel trapped because that’s what happens with me!”
3. It’s only when we’re truly happy that we realise what we’d been missing out before.
“I could die right now, Clem. I’m just… happy. I’ve never felt that before. I’m just exactly where I want to be. ”
4. Aren’t we all?
“I’m always anxious thinking I’m not living my life to the fullest.”
5. It’s easier to pretend that you didn’t know somebody when you clearly just wanted them to be somebody else this entire time.
“What a loss to spend that much time with someone, only to find out that she’s a stranger.”
6. Communication is key. But all communication isn’t talking.
Clementine: You don’t tell me things, Joel. I’m an open book. I tell you everything, every damn embarrassing thing.
Joel: Constantly talking isn’t necessarily communicating.
7. The manic pixie dream girl is a person, too.
“Too many guys think I’m a concept, or I complete them, or I’m gonna make them alive. But I’m just a fucked-up girl who’s lookin’ for my own peace of mind; don’t assign me yours.”
8. All we wanted as a kid was to grow up. Somebody should have volunteered to tell us it was no fun.
“You look at a baby, and it’s so pure, and so free, and so clean. And adults are like this mess of sadness and phobias. ”
9.Sometimes all your memories begin from the appearance of that one person who seems to have changed everything.
Joel: I can’t remember anything without you.
Clementine: That’s sweet, but try.
10. It’s always the little things.
Clementine: You know me, I’m impulsive.
Joel: That’s what I love about you.
11. Sometimes it’s okay to let go of control.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.
12. Two lonely hearts always seem to find their way back to each other.
“You can erase someone from your mind. Getting them out of your heart is another story.”
13. Some strangers just have a quality of familiarity to them.
Clementine: I’m Clementine. Can I… borrow a piece of your chicken?
Joel: And then you just took it… without waiting for an answer. It was so intimate; like we were already lovers.
14. Nobody wants to be that couple. A lot of them end up being that couple.
“Are we like those bored couples you feel sorry for in restaurants? Are we the dining dead? I can’t stand the idea of us being a couple people think that about.”
15. When a single Joel speaks for every freshly broken-up introvert.
“If only I could meet someone new. I guess my chances of that happening are somewhat diminished, seeing that I’m incapable of making eye contact with a woman I don’t know.”
16. Aren’t we all a little nuts?
Clementine: What are you, NUTS?
Joel: It’s been suggested.
17. It is strange how little adults understand children given that they were all one at some point.
“Sometimes I think people don’t understand how lonely it is to be a kid, like you don’t matter.”
18.There’s so much you do not see until somebody tells you to see it.
Clementine: Was it something I said?
Joel: Yeah… you said “so go.” With such disdain, you know?
Clementine: Oh, I’m sorry.
Joel: It’s okay.
19. You say the most real things when you’re vulnerable.
“I wonder if the things that remind me of you, remind you of me.”
20. Some people just get you by default – like they do not even have to try.
“I feel like sometimes I’m in my own little world and you’re always next to me and I don’t know how you do it but you understand me.”
Just in case you haven’t actually watched the movie, we hope these quotes and dialogues from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind have convinced you to give the brilliant movie a much deserving watch.