Growing up in an Indian household is a “unique” experience at best. While people around the world were busy raising their kids responsibly and helping them grow independent, Indian parents were busy comparing you to Sharmaji Ka Beta/Beti and asking you to get a haircut (if you’re a boy) or planning your wedding (if you’re a girl). But underneath all of the (unsolicited) advice, meddling in your life, nit-picking and having a say in your every single life decision lies the kind of warmth and love that cannot be found anywhere else. And despite how smothering their constant attention can be, we can’t imagine our lives without it. But enough mush and back to the struggle of living with desi parents.
Here are 21 tweets about growing up with Indian parents that are hilarious and yet, all too real.
1) Who cares what the weather is like outside when you’ve got a mom to decide if it’s hot or cold.
2) And that’s a habit she picked up from her mom, we bet!
#IAmSoIndian that I have a bag full of bags in my kitchen
— Seema (@iGeekyChic) March 24, 2018
3) Good luck with that, bro!
4) How many times has this happened to you?
only Desi parents will give you a sarcastic congratulations when you break a glass 😐
"Shabaash puth, very good 👏🏽"
— Mr Singh (@eep_singh) July 28, 2016
5) Why you do this, mom and dad?
Behind every successful woman are her parents… wondering why she hasn't found someone yet and when she plans on getting married.
— Anuya Jakatdar (@anuyeaah) February 11, 2014
6) Bad grades = eternal shame, all thanks to mumma and puppa.
Grading system for students in India:
A – Average
B – Below average
C – Can't have dinner
D – Don't come home
F – Find a new family
— spicy alien (@iamhorcrux) May 9, 2014
7) Aren’t we glad she did it though.
8) Not very many option to pick from, really.
9) Some logic that is.
10) What’s love got to do with it?
We believe in 'Marriage' at first sight.
— Yo_Gi_Ta (@naaag_funny) August 4, 2017
11) Laughs outside. Cries inside.
— Akshita Gupta (@TheFloatingPen) August 11, 2017
12) You can never do whatever you like. EVER.
When parents says "thik hai ,tujhe jo karna hai kar " 😂😂
(What they actually mean ⤵⤵) pic.twitter.com/QyXe68jY7l
— Rajni patil 🇮🇳💥🌻💕💕💗💖💝❣️ (@indian_patil) July 25, 2017
13) Because they can tell you so, and you better listen.
Indian parents will tell you that you're too young to do something alone but then say you're old enough to do something else by yourself…
— Indian Stats (@Indian_stats) July 10, 2017
14) There is no curfew like your mom ka curfew.
15) That ain’t a pleasant surprise though.
16) You can solve every problem ever by waking up at 4 am. ‘Cause dad says so.
17) Mummy meinu kehndi, “na na na na!”
18) Now try losing one of her Tupperware!
*Returns from World Tour*
Mom – Ghar se jo paani ki bottle di thi, wo kahan chhod aaya?
— Sagar (@sagarcasm) September 13, 2016
19) Thank God for paani puris though!
Even pani puri wala bhaiyya gives more options than what Indian parents give to their kids.
— A R A B P V P I ♚ (@SahilKhan187) August 1, 2016
20) “But But, mom..” Never mind.
21) And that one time you do something right according to them!
Me, when family appreciates something I have done. pic.twitter.com/LFJxK6UUbL
— pnkj 🇮🇳 (@AskThePankazzzz) April 27, 2017
Here’s to Indian parents! We can’t live with them. We can’t live without them. Now, I must go and find that damn Sharmaji Ka Beta and give him a piece of my mind.