One of the most eye-opening, emotional and beautiful pieces of literature of the 21st Century, The Kite Runner by Afghan-American author Khaled Hosseini is truly a masterpiece. Set in the background of the troubled and changing political landscape of Afghanistan, The Kite Runner is the story of innocence, friendship and love.
Some of the Kite Runner quotes and lines are very striking and is a reflection on the bitter truths of the life and love that still manages to thrive above everything else.
We bring you 20 amazing ‘The Kite Runner’ quotes about life, love, friendships and more.
1. “It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime…”
2. “People say that eyes are windows to the soul.”
3. “In the end, the world always wins. That’s just the way of things”
4. “A boy who won’t stand up for himself becomes a man who can’t stand up to anything.”
5. “It’s wrong what they say about the past, I’ve learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out.”
6. “And that’s the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too.”
7. “When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife’s right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness.”
8. “Better to get hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie.”
9. “Children aren’t coloring books. You don’t get to fill them with your favorite colors.”
10. “I’m so afraid. Because I’m so profoundly happy. Happiness like this is frightening… They only let you this happy if they’re preparing to take something from you.”
11. “There is only one sin and that is theft. When you tell a lie, you steal someones right to the truth.”
12. “There are a lot of children in Afghanistan, but little childhood.”
13. “A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.”
14. “Scars stung but it was a reminder of a beloved season.”
`15. “Hassan!” I called. “Come back with it!” “For you a thousand times over!” he said.
16. “It always hurts more to have and lose than to not have in the first place.”
17. “There is a way to be good again…”
18. “Time can be a greedy thing – sometimes it steals the details for itself.”
19. “It was only a smile, nothing more. It didn’t make everything all right. It didn’t make anything all right. Only a smile. A tiny thing. A leaf in the woods, shaking in the wake of a startled bird’s flight. But I’ll take it. With open arms. Because when spring comes, it melts the snow one flake at a time, and maybe I just witnessed the first flake melting.”
20. “A man’s plumbing is like his mind: Simple, very few surprises. You ladies, on the other hand…well, God put a lot of thought into making you.”
This novel by Khaled Hosseini should definitely be in the ‘Must-Read’ list of all bookworms and book lovers. Which of these ‘The Kite Runner’ quotes is your favourite? Do let us know in the comments below!