Ravish Kumar has become one of the torch bearers of fearless and resolute journalism in India which doesn’t shy away from asking tough questions to the powerful. A recipient of several eminent awards in the field of journalism, Ravish Kumar has become popular in the recent years owing to the clean and professional journalism free of noise and sensationalism while focusing on issues that matter. Quotes from Ravish Kumar speak of the sad state of Indian journalism today and the importance of speaking up in a vibrant democracy like India.
We bring you some of the most hard hitting quotes from Ravish Kumar here.
1. The act of speaking out makes you alone. – Ravish Kumar
2. We have always measured inequality in terms of health and economy, but it is time for us to now also measure knowledge inequality. Today, when the resources for quality knowledge have become confined to a select few cities, we cannot even begin to imagine what the repercussions of this knowledge inequality in smaller towns and villages are. – Ravish Kumar
3. It’s heartening to see that we are still survived by those few who are putting their lives and careers at risk to practice honest journalism. – Ravish Kumar
4. If I were a neta, I would have built a love park in every city and would have happily lost the next election. Naturally, society would not have approved. – Ravish Kumar
5. Citizen or robot; democracy or tyranny – the choice is ours. – Ravish Kumar
6. If the media characterises itself as ‘WhatsApp University’, what will be its influence on its audiences and the society? – Ravish Kumar
7. News channels have worked tirelessly to kill India’s democratic ideals, with the result that vast numbers of the Indian people follow channels that ask no questions to the government. – Ravish Kumar
8. Fake news engenders fake debates, and fake debates result in fake politics. It is a means to take the focus far away from the real problems that affect people. – Ravish Kumar
9. A democracy can thrive only as long as news and information are truthful. – Ravish Kumar
10. We must also strive to understand the nature of mobs. A mob has its own constitution. It has its own country. It drafts its own orders and directives, and identifies its own prey. – Ravish Kumar
11. The way things are in India, couples invariably find little love and far more hatred in the course of their love. That they still dare to love is worthy of our salutations. – Ravish Kumar
12. Not all battles are fought for victory – some are fought to tell the world that someone was there on the battlefield. – Ravish Kumar
13. To have faith is a good thing, no doubt. But that faith should rest on the foundation of facts, not emotions. – Ravish Kumar
14. The young no longer want to understand why a system made them spend lakhs of rupees studying to be engineers when at the end of it all they could not find jobs that would pay them even ten thousand. They took loans to gain admission and study in colleges that promised them training and placements. Those colleges don’t exist anymore, but the loans are still being repaid. – Ravish Kumar
15. The soul of democracy is under relentless attack every day. – Ravish Kumar
16. Communalism turns human beings into bombs. – Ravish Kumar
Ravish Kumar has been honored with Ramon Magsaysay Award (2019), Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award (2017& 2013 – Broadcast Hindi), Gauri Lankesh Award for Journalism, first Kuldip Nayar journalism award (2017) and the Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Award for Hindi Journalism.
Which of these quotes from Ravish Kumar was the most hard-hitting?