20 Best George Washington Quotes to Get Some Inspiration
The first President of the United States of America, George Washington, was a military officer and one of the founding fathers of America. He was also known as the ‘Father of the Country’ for his leadership in nation-building. With a legacy as one of the most influential presidents in American history, Washington served as the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army and was hailed as the hero of the Revolutionary War. In his eulogy, his comrade Harry Lee declared him as the “First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen.” Beyond his remarkable leadership and political achievements, Washington was also a source of wisdom and inspiration. Explore these 20 inspirational quotes by George Washington to find motivation and wisdom.
2. Freedom of speech is the foundation of any democracy.
“If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
3. Look forward and move forward in life.
“We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience.”
4. Performing your moral duties give inner satisfaction…
“Human happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected.”
5. Higher the mountain, the bigger the climb!
“the harder the conflict, the greater the triumph.”
6. Choose your inner self over external validations.
“Happiness depends more upon the internal frame of a person’s own mind, than on the externals in the world.”
7. Knowledge makes our lives better…
“There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness.”
8. No matter how many hurdles come their way, the truth will ultimately find its way to come out.
“The truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light.”
9. You can win any war or a game in life with a good strategy!
“A bad war is fought with a good mind.”
10. Choose your close friends carefully…
“Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.”
11. Prevention is always better!
“Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. ”
12. Either prevent the war or face it with courage.
“Real men despise battle, but will never run away from it.”
13. A sensible man and a sensible woman tend to choose each other!
“A sensible woman can never be happy with a fool.”
14. Don’t wish others bad if not good.
“Be not glad at the misfortune of another, though he may be your enemy.”
15. Desiring prosperity and peace or one thing and knowing how to have it is another…
“If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War.”
16. Just don’t worry!
“Worry is the interest paid by those who borrow trouble.”
17. Be alone or be wise enough to make good relations!
“It is better to be alone than in bad company.”
18. One can always express their opinions without raising their voice.
“Strive not with your superiors in argument, but always submit your judgment to others with modesty.”
19. True friendships stand all the adversities of time and hardships of life, isn’t it?
“True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.”
20. Don’t back down after a few setbacks as it might be the beginning of success!
“Perseverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages.”
The magic of his words is that most of his quotes still remain as wise and relevant as they were in the 1700s when America was going through a revolution. So, did you find the above George Washington quotes inspiring? Tell us in the comments.